Sunday, March 4, 2012

Smile
Yesterday wasn't the greatest day. I had to be at the airport by 4am and say goodbye to a good friend. Because of the early flight, the night before I didn't take the meds that would help me sleep. I was afraid I'd be in a haze and not wake up in time. Because I didn't get much sleep though, the fibro fog set in anyway. It had enveloped my brain as I rode to the airport, making it difficult to focus. The pain throughout my body was worse too.

To make matters worse, it was the first day of United and Continental Airlines merging. Their new computer system had glitches, so it took longer to check in. I felt relief when making it to security and it was my turn for a body scan. You know my head is messed up when I find joy in that! :-) My inward smile faded when I was told they'd need to pat me down; though as any good Christian would, I smiled and said, OK. Whoo hoo, more fun! I did request a private room though. I wasn't inclined to show by belly to everyone going through the security line. A girl needs some privacy! Before the pat down, security asked if I had any pain. YES...EVERYWHERE! I have Fibromyalgia! Of course I didn't say it in that tone outwardly. I'm not sure why the question though, they pat you down all over anyway. Thankfully though, the patting didn't aggrivate the pain, and no bombs or chemical residue were found on me. I was released to go to my gate...only to wait an extra 40 minutes before the plane flew out because of the ongoing computer problems.

I was late into San Francisco, but thankfully I had a long layover so didn't need to rush. I had plenty of time to get a simple (not so good) breakfast of eggs, sausage and toast for a mere $13. You really do need to be rich to travel! After sitting, walking, standing, walking and sitting again so as to avoid any additional fibro pain, it was time to line up to the gate to fly out...only to find the United computer problem still unresolved. The new system didn't accept boarding passes printed before the merge...anyone who'd checked in early had to check in again. I didn't let that get to me, though there was quite a bit of grumbling in the crowd. After another 45 minute delay, I was seated on the plane. In less than 2 minutes I discovered I was sitting next to grumpy pants; and within another 5 minutes, my airline attendant showed her foul mood as well. It was a  long 4 1/2 hour flight before I finally arrived in Chicago; but thankfully, we arrived safely and I'd not been snippy with anyone. Fighting through the emotions and dealing with fatigue and pain all day had taken a toll on me though.

This trip reminded me that there are so many instances in life which can affect us negatively if we allow it. Whether we are aware of it or not, our brain and heart are constantly making choices on how to deal with situations and people. We can make our day worse or better by how we respond to them. I believe that each time we make a decision to smile in the face of adversity...or at least, not outwardly scream...we are choosing a better way. It's our choice to be happy...or not. I didn't necessarily spill out with joy during my day of traveling, but I didn't bite anyone's head off either. That makes me happy. :-)

What stands out the most on my trip home was a young girl's smile. As I walked down the airplane aisle, I felt this tug on my sleeve and turned to see this small girl looking up at me. Her eyes seemed to twinkle as she showed me her sweet smile, and that one moment made me forget about the pain and fatigue, and had more impact than all the negatives put together. I believe when we allow the good feelings, however few, to outweigh the bad, God smiles too. Makes me think I should smile a little more too, so that maybe I might make it a better day for someone else...just like that little girl did for me.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry for the hassles, even more sorry to see you go. But what a gift that little girl gave you! And what a gift your words are.

    Miss you, and so happy you're writing again!

    K

    ReplyDelete