Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving is a wonderful day that includes good food, family, and a special opportunity to focus on being thankful. Though I am grateful for all my family and friends, I want to take the time to recognize my mom and dad who are with the Lord now. I thank them for all they were to me in my life. They weren't perfect people, but they were perfect parents for me.

Mom was a single parent most of my young life and at times worked three jobs so my brothers and I could eat. She had very little help and life for her was an uphill climb. No matter the difficulty though, Mom got through it. She was a fighter and my inner strength came from watching her survive.  Mom was there for me when I was a mother too. She offered money, gave me food, and loved my daughter the way she loved me, standing by me as I tried to mature as a parent. It was because of the strength my mother developed in me that I felt strong enough to walk away from my first husband when he abused me. I had no money and didn't know at the time where I'd live, but I knew I'd be OK.

I was like Mom in a lot of ways too...some good, some not so good. Because of that, we at times battled. Our bond was always stronger afterwards though. Ultimately, we were for each other. I knew she would fight for me, and she knew I would do the same for her. In one of our battles, Mom said, 'you're bulldogging me'. I laughed out loud...partly because I'd not heard that expression since leaving Texas, and partly because I knew my bulldog tendencies came from her.  :-) I say that with love and pride for my mother. I was proud that she was a bulldog, and that I was her bulldog. I'm grateful that God gave me a mother who loved me greatly and throughout my life was one of my biggest defenders.

Our country is blessed. We are free, thanks to men and women who fight for our freedom. My Dad was one of those men. He served two terms in World War II, risking his life for our country. He never talked much about the war, but I knew from what Mom said, and shows I've seen about the war, that it was a very difficult time. He fought on ground in both Japan and the Philippines, so I can only imagine the ugliness he had to experience. He was an example of courage then and throughout my life. I'm proud that he was willing to give his life for our country, and blessed that he survived to be my Dad. 

Dad was also the most giving person I knew. He never had much, but would give all he had to someone else in need. Even in his 70's, each Thanksgiving day, a big turkey would be roasted and Dad would plate turkey and sides to give friends and neighbors who were alone or without food. One Thanksgiving, Dad saw a homeless woman going through his garbage. He told her not eat garbage...to come inside and eat dinner with my stepmom and him. After this young woman finished eating, my father handed her a little money and then told her not to eat from garbage cans again...when she was hungry, she could eat with them. He even gave her their phone number. She called and ate there on a numerous occasions. Soon too, she got her life together and joined the Marines. Dad didn't talk about what he did for others. I only learned about this woman when she came to his funeral and gave credit to Dad for her life turning around. She said it was because he cared enough to feed her that one Thanksgiving night. She was one of many who shared a story of how Dad had helped them in one way or another. Through watching my father's life, I learned that it doesn't matter how little or how much you have in life, you always have enough to help someone in need. He was a wonderful father to me too. No matter what I went through, he was there for me. He didn't care if I was in the right or wrong. He would only ask if I had a need. His love for me was unconditional.

Thank you Mom and Dad for being all that you were for me. Thank you for your love and working so hard to help me through life. With you both gone, life seems harder, but because of the courage and strength you instilled in me, I too will survive.  I'm thankful that you are with the Lord now, and I look forward the time when I will see you again.

Thank you, Lord, for my parents, family and friends. Thank you too for all the ways you bless me. Help me continue to be thankful for this gift of life and for all the other blessings within it. Amen.

Happy Thanksgiving! I am thankful for you too!
Peggy


No comments:

Post a Comment