Sunday, December 30, 2012

 Good Friends are Family!
We had a wonderful evening with friends last night...friends that are really more like family.  Marty and I have known Len and Gloria for close to 30 years I think. They've been with us through good times and bad. There have been years when we relate more and others when we relate less, but always our friendship remains strong. I know that I can count on either of them if I need help in some way or just need to talk. I probably don't rely on them as much as I should. When you share your struggles with people you trust, those same burdens can feel lighter.

Last night Gloria made her homemade pizza. As usual, it was delicious. For dessert, we had her famous rum cake (famous in a wonderful way to all who have had it! :-) Gloria makes it most every New Year. Since this is the one time of year that she bakes this tasty cake, I'm truly thankful that we get to participate in the event. She really should bake this yummy dessert more often though. That way I could remind her on multiple occasions how good it is and build up her self-esteem. Of course, Gloria doesn't really need her self-esteem built. All of her cooking is good and she knows it. How could she not, she gets to eat it everyday! I'm just looking for an excuse to make this tradition happen more often. :-) Whether that happens or not though, Gloria did send us home with leftovers of her pizza and rum cake, so we had one more day to enjoy it! Mmmh!

After dinner with Len and Gloria, we each had questions to share. I love the questions. It's a way to get to know each other, and ourselves, better. The questions force you to think because they're usually not ones you've pondered before. One question Len asked was, "Who in your life are you most like?" What we learned through that question is that we make a sum total of All of those we care about. I am like each person that was in that room. Besides our personalities being alike in some way from the start, each has given and/or taught  me something that I grabbed onto to make me who I am today. We are ever-changing because of the people around us, and because of God in us, while still remaining unique. I like that.

A question Gloria asked was something like, "Name a Wow! God moment we had in the last year." Marty, Len and Gloria all had something to share. I couldn't think of a response. I don't think that's because there wasn't any Wow! God Moment in my life. I either didn't remember; or more likely than not, didn't notice it. I think God makes big moments in our life throughout the year...maybe even daily...but we're often too distracted to recognize them. I could blame my fibro fog or monkey mind, but I believe God is bigger than all I deal with. I think if we, if I, made a better effort, I could notice and remember these special moments. So one more thing I learned from my friends, is that I need to make a more concentrated effort so that I too can feel the joy of a Wow! moment in God. I just realized while writing this that last night was a Wow! God moment. Through everyone else sharing their own God experiences, I felt God's presence while also learning I needed to do more to recognize my own God moments. Wow! :-)

A third question asked was, "Where would you go if you only had $500 for a trip." Marty, Len and Gloria said they'd go see a parent. My parents are with the Lord, so I'm proud that my friends and husband recognize how valuable their own parents are while they're still alive. Since I don't have a mom or dad to visit, I'd go see my friend Karen in Oregon. She's a part of who I am too; and like Len and Gloria, more like family. 

I want to thank all of my close friends, Julee too, for being my extended family. My life wouldn't be as good without you. I thank the Lord too, for placing each of them in my life. No matter what I deal with in regard to my health, or emotionally, life is good because of God, my family, and my extended family of friends. I love you all!


No comments:

Post a Comment