Thursday, December 6, 2012

Integrity


While taking my dog, Daisy, for a walk, I was bothered again by how many pet owners choose to leave their dog's poo. Our trek is usually a half-mile around a park across from my home. There is a playground for kids, and in warmer months, soccer is a weekly event. How can people choose to leave their dog's poo where kids play and there are big family events??? They do though. And it's done daily. Though this park is somewhat of a toilet for our pets, there's no mechanism to automatically flush it...you must take a bag with you and pick it up!!! Geez! Does there need to be training for this?!!

I believe when people choose to leave their dog's poo in a park, they are showing a lack of integrity. I looked up the definition of integrity and these are its synonyms: Character, decency, goodness, honesty, morality, probity, rectitude, righteousness, rightness, uprightness, virtue and virtuousness. When someone leaves their dog's poo, I can't use any of these words to describe them...at least not then. Some of these people even do it in front of others, not caring if they're seen. It's like they think there's nothing wrong with what they do, though signs in the park tell them differently. I don't know what to say about their lack of care, except that it aggravates me even more.

I, on the other hand, have multiple bags with me to be sure I can pick up after my pets. While on our walk, I don't let them use people's main yard for their toilet; and whether near a sidewalk or at the park, I always clean up their poo. I'm not a perfect person, but I strive to be respectful and a person of integrity. When others don't pick up their dog's poo, I can't help but wonder about their decency. Is it just this one area where they are lacking, or is their life weak in other areas too?

When I saw all the poo left today, and noticed I was alone and could not be seen, I was aggravated enough to think, since no one else cares, maybe I should leave my dog's poo too. It was really cold out and it'd be easier on my achy knees if I was not to bend to pick it up...instead just leave. I couldn't do it though. No matter whether anyone else could or could not see, I was reminded that just because others do wrong, that's no excuse for me. If you aren't respectful enough of others to pickup your pet's poo, it will ultimately show in your life in other ways too. I think one reason why I, for the most part, like me, is because I do try to care for, and show respect to, others...even when my actions are only seen by God and me.

Enough talk about poo though...time for another walk with my dogs, and the practice of living in integrity.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know anyone who exemplifies integrity the way you do, Peg, in every aspect of your life. Thanks for this reminder to be responsible--and that our actions ARE noted by others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for saying that, Karen; especially when I'm more or less venting. :-)

    ReplyDelete