Friday, December 14, 2012

I look to you

Today of all days, we need the Lord. Twenty-eight people were tragically shot and killed a few hours ago. Most of these shootings were in a grade school in Connecticut. Twenty of those who died were children...many kindergartners. Many details are not known yet, but they believe it was a 24 year old young man who was the shooter. One of the adults killed was his mother. The killer is dead too. 

 It's all very sad. Sad that there was so much loss of life, sad that most of the lives taken were young children, sad for families who lost a loved one, sad that this young man's heart and soul was in such a dead place that he could commit such a murder, and sad that this kind of tragedy has become too common. If only more people looked to the Lord for help when they felt low, maybe less of this kind of tragedy would happen.

It wasn't my children shot, and I didn't know the adults who were killed, but I cried. I cried for the parents and the families who now have to deal with such a loss and for the lack of humanity shown today.  I can't wrap my heart around how one human being can so easily take the life of another. It happens so much in our world today. But in this one event, 26 lives were taken, including 20 innocent children. What has happened to our society? This is a reminder that we need the Lord more than ever in our lives. Without him, we are all lost.

I pray now that God be with the families affected by these killings, and that he heal their broken hearts. I pray too that he help the surviving children in this school, and their community, as they deal with the symptoms of trauma that follow. I ask also that the Lord make himself known to the hurting so that they will look to him for help and not feel alone. I look to the Lord for help as well. I don't know the depth of loss that these families feel, but my heart is hurting. I hurt for all of them. They are my family in God.

Lord, I do look to you during this time, and always, and pray that you will heal all of our hearts. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment