Saturday, January 5, 2013

Call 911. I feel like a truck ran over me! Just kidding of course. It's really just that my grandkids were with me for four days. That's twin 4-year-olds and one 9-year-old, which means less sleep and more fibro pain. It's worth it though. I love being with my grandkids, though always thankful when I get to rest after they're gone. :-)

I was thinking about how I cleaned the house before the grandkids came over. Why do I do that??? I think because I want to show them the same respect I'd show an adult that was coming to visit, but also because I know they'll be on the floor, playing with their toys on the coffee tables and God only knows what else. Because of that, I want all the areas clean for them. What's odd about cleaning before their visit, is that within 5 minutes, everything they brought from home is sitting around and the tubs of toys that we keep for each of them here is dumped out on the floor, spread from room to room. Someone could walk in and it'd look like I never cleaned. How does my daughter and other moms do it??? I only had one child and thought that kept me busy enough. I think what I've learned through having grandkids is that you can't get too stuck on things being orderly. The time with the kids is what's important, not how the place looks. Anyway, though it didn't look like it long, I am still glad I cleaned before Isabel (9), Gage (4) and Caelan (4) came. I guess that's what it's all about...me doing what I think is right before their visit, and then enjoying them while they're here.

During the 4 days that the grandkids were here, it seemed like I was constantly picking up, cooking meals, serving snacks and washing dishes. I didn't worry too much about all the toys being on the floor, though I did keep telling the the kids to move them out of the walking path for safety's sake; and I played and read with the kids too, so it wasn't all work. That's where the special memories are, though the most painful ones...meaning getting down on the floor with them is much harder than it used to be. :-) All 3 kids slept in a bedroom with me too...well I should say me and 3 dogs...so that was an adventure in itself. My husband was smart and slept in another room...he got some sleep! :-)

Though the fibro pain is worse now and I'm more tired than before my grandkids came over, I never regret the time I had with them. I am enjoying the quietness of today though, while thanking God for bringing those wonderful children into my life. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment