Sunday, January 20, 2013

It's Good To Have Children in Our Lives

Yesterday, I had a great day with our oldest granddaughter, Isabel. She turns 10 this week, so we spent the day trying to make her feel special in different ways as a way to celebrate her upcoming birthday. It was a nice time and I could tell she was happy. Seeing her happy made me happy.

When my mom and dad died a few years back, I was reminded of what an impact kids have on me. Babies, children and animals of all kinds have always been able to make me smile, even at my most disheartened times. When dealing with the loss of my parents though, it was only my grandkids who could turn my frown upside down. :-) I hid myself away from everyone else, both physically and emotionally. Though Isabel, Gage and Caelan have their bad moments; for the most part, they are just innocent, loving, fun and funny children who by just being themselves can remind you what is important in life. No matter the depth of sadness I might feel otherwise, they can keep me from diving deeper into that hole of depression. When I am with them, my bucket of tears dries up and smiles and laughter prevail. They are like grief counselors without even knowing it. It's been over 4 years, but now when I think of Mom and Dad, the grief doesn't have the hold on me like it once did. I can even laugh when fun memories of them come to mind. In the past, I only cried. I don't think I'd be at that place even yet if not for my grandkids. With them I am reminded that it's not the dead who are most important in our lives, it's the living. I will always miss and love my parents, and others I've lost and will lose in the future, but I want to focus most on those who are alive. That will keep me in the present. It's there, not the past or the future, where we find the most joy. My grandkids help me live in the now by distracting me from the past and the future. They give me a way to focus on the very moment I'm in...that adds to my happiness, and theirs.

As with sadness and grief, Isabel, Gage and Caelan make living with fibromyalgia and other health issues easier too. Though I'm always tired, and usually in pain, I don't notice it so much when I'm with them. I'll also extend beyond my comfort zone for them, which I think can be good for my body. The grandkids are a wonderful distraction no matter what life brings me. Because of that I need to do all I can to stay healthy so that I can continue to enjoy all the time God gives me with them, along with all of those whom I love.

Thank you, Lord, for my grandkids (and for my daughter who birthed them)! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment